So I love Valentines Day. First and foremost, because it is really close to my birthday (and several other family birthdays as well), so V- Day always felt like an Opening Ceremonies of sorts for the week of family celebrations. It is also a perfect excuse to wear pink and sparkle with utter abandon.
I suppose I should credit my parents for an excellent job raising me because for some reason I never attached negative feelings to the holiday. I remember in high school and college many of my friends would lament being single on V-Day. For me, it wasn't necessarily about romantic love, but just love and chocolate. My dad made a point of giving me something special- mom got flowers I usually got candy or maybe a $5 toy. This is a tradition I insisted my husband follow with our daughter. I don't want her to dread or anticipate a certain day of the year just based on her relationship status. I'd much rather her anticipate or dread it based on the availability of glitter. Like everything else I have no idea how to manage this especially in our boyfriend/looks/ possession obsessed society. Sigh
No comments:
Post a Comment