Today we had our 12 week ultrasound. It would be the first chance to actually have proof that a baby has been causing my unrelenting morning sickness, all consuming fatigue, and unbelievably rapidly expanding tummy. I heard I would pop a little early, but seriously, maternity pants at 9 weeks?? My parents, sister, and nephew happened to be in town visiting and since my parents saw an ultrasound with my first baby and I saw my sister give birth, apparently my sister was entitled to come into the ultrasound room. Whatever right? The more the merrier. So we are sitting, well I am lying there with the cold goo on and the image of a perfect little baby pops up. There is my baby! My husband squeezes my hand excitedly. The tech moves the wand a little and shows the other side of the baby. My husband squeezes my hand tighter. While watching my baby's little hand waving excitedly, I hear the tech ask if we see what she sees. Of course, I did one of these before! That's my baby clear as day. She moves the wand again showing the other side of the baby again. I wonder why she keeps flipping the image. Again, "do you see what I see?" At this point I am looking for penis. At 12 weeks this would have to be one remarkable penis to see it so clearly. But hey my son will win bar bets. While staring at the screen I am becoming aware that the hand my husband is holding is rapidly losing feeling. This time the tech says "you are not seeing what I am seeing". I look at her blankly. "Twins!" She says excitedly. My first reaction is to burst into tears. I had had weeks of everyone teasing that it could be twins since I was so sick and so large. My mother even joked the day before that if it ended up being twins my husband wouldn't be able to concentrate on his test later that afternoon.
Identical Twins. My head spun with the news. My husband was silent. The tech moved the wand and I saw that the flipped image I had been watching was not one baby but two. With two rapidly beating heartbeats. I would need a minivan. Two sets of arms. I would need to buy another car seat. Two sets of legs. OMG how would I nurse two?? Two beautiful profiles. Two tiny beautiful babies.
No comments:
Post a Comment